Saturday, June 25, 2011

Port Cala Canyelles

Pulled into this little town and its associated marina. Actually, as soon as I saw the aerial view of the marina, I knew I had to go into it. My charts said the marina was 2m deep, which is barely enough for Guizmo's 1.99cm keel. To be sure, I hailed the marina on the VHF radio, and asked if a "barca de dos metros" can fit in the marina (note the missing word, "profundo"). Apparently, the marinero thought I meant a boat of 2m length, not depth, so he said "sure." For reference, most kids' inflatable boats are 2 meters. It makes no sense for someone to ask if there is room for his 2 meter long yacht. But language barriers usually suspend all rational thought. Thankfully, I got lucky and the entrance to the harbor was more than the advertised 2m in depth.

Of course, the engine stopped working just outside the marina breakwater, so I actually had to sail in with a full main and jib and do a 180 u-ey to shed off speed. The marina was barely deep enough to not hit the keel. The marinero dude came running up and said "you can't sail here, it's too small!" No kidding, it's not like I wanted to be doing u-eys under sail in a marina where the keel is barely clearing major rocks. Anyhow, the one spot where Guizmo could have fitted was, luckily, not taken. And for a change, Guizmo was the largest boat at a marina.

Port Cala Canyelles is surrounded by steep walls on top of which some really awesome houses have been built.



The only problem with the marina was the enormous number of tiger mosquitoes that came to visit. At 0.1cc of blood per mosquito, and 100 mosquitoes, there was 10cc of my blood flying through the air at any one time. That's about as much blood as the doctor draws during a routine test, which is actually quite a bit.

Slept in Guizmo, in the bow, for the second time (the first was during the Barcelona crossing), and woke up feeling pretty good, somewhat itchy, and certainly anemic. Time to hit the iron supplements.
In a rare moment, I'm actually checking the sails

When you're living the 007 lifestyle, you get used to black and yellow aircraft chasing you

No comments: