Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hello Mosquito!

The tiger mosquitoes in Port Cala Canyelles reminded me of this ancient TV ad from the early days of the Internet:

He loves to travel, just like me.
I read a bit more about tiger mosquitoes, a recent import into Europe from India. They're tenacious little buggers -- I've watched them try to bite me through my pile jacket (3mm), my hat (5mm), and puffed up sleeping bag (10cm!). And apparently, they can act as vectors for a lot of diseases. I'm doing fine so far; no sign of West Nile, yelow fever, dengue fever or any of the other nasties listed in Wikipedia. The only symptoms I exhibit at the moment would be that of sleeping sickness -- I've been dosing off every chance I get, but this is probably a consequence of 100+ mosquitoes constantly divebombing my ears and keeping me up. Coincidentally, I had just come back from India with some insect repellent that I got as a gift, so I managed to stave off some of the little critters. But there are always the enterprising ones that have developed an immunity to insecticide. I imagine them throwing a little mosquito party where I acted, in essence, as the punch bowl. 

You know it works because it cannot be legally purchased in the U.S.

No comments: