Saturday, July 9, 2011

How Other People Sail, Part 2

Here are some boats I encountered so far.

Here is the enormous boat I had to go past in St. Tropez. It's a brand new boat launched in 2010, called Kolaha: here are its vitals. Get this: its maximum speed is only 16.50 knots!!! That's way lower than Guizmo's max recorded speed of 24 knots. And Guizmo does not require drilling holes in the earth's mantle for its forward propulsion.
Maybe if it had fewer sombreros, it'd go faster?
I like cruise boats, but then again I've never been on one. I wonder if this one has a festering Norwalk virus problem. Or a Captain named Stubing, and a happy barman named Isaac. It looks okay to me, as it is fairly small by cruise boat standards. I would like to play shuffle puck at some point in my older age.
Cruise boat off of St. Tropez. Note the quaint water taxis that it can launch
This, I really like.
Classically beautiful
This thing hounded me as I approached St. Tropez. Not sure who designed it, and for what purpose. If it was designed to be anything other than a Kamikaze assault vehicle (either literally, or on the senses), it failed.
I bet this abomination won a design award in Germany,
in the electric iron category
The guys with the white powerboats must have thought they were hot stuff until the black powerboat rolled into town. Just the floating toys launched from the black boat could make up a sizable flotilla.
When the black boat anchors, it opens a hatch from which lots of other floating little noisemakers emerge,
just like in Waterworld

No comments: