Sunday, July 17, 2011

Menton

This is a quaint little town. Reminded me of Antibes and Cadaques in a way, even though it lacks Antibes' city walls and the giant bay that defines Cadaques.

Menton, town view
This Greek warrior welcomes you at the port.



The kids act slightly differently here than they did elsewhere in France, closer to what I saw in Spain -- there is much more screaming and running away from the vicinity of the parents. So the parents entrap them in plastic balls and keep them there until they run out of oxygen. I'm not kidding; the kids remain in those balls for 20 minutes or so and come out much more subdued.

There is no way you can stay in there for that long in the US
Any kid not sufficiently punished in the transparent ball prison gets to be tied up onto the trampoline thingy.
Note little shrimp at right, trying to emulate the upside-down girl
Menton has yet another shutter technology, very different from the ones in previous cities. This one seems to have higher degrees of freedom.
High-tech shutters. Apparently, these are Italian-style.
The place is full of ice cream stores. I liked this one.



Saw this on a menu.
Good deal? I guess it all depends on the piece of the butcher one would be getting
 Random street view from Menton.

Holy Mother gets the best window.
There are quaint little bookstores here.
This one is going after the Somalian youth demographic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving this blog. Following all your adventures with great interest as I wouldn't mind doing a similar trip one day.Keep up the entertaining commentary....:)

PaintingEachDay said...

Yes, I found your blog because I read EVERYTHING about beautiful Antibes ... now I will treat myself to reading about your wonderful adventures !! If you would ever want a beautiful portrait of your beautiful boat, all you have to do is email me.

www.annelizabethschlegel.com

Your stories and photographs are very entertaining !!!

Danke from Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany (until I go to Antibes and then back to the States).

Zsolt Putnoky said...

Do not forget, it is the resting plac of William Webb Ellis, the inventor of Rugby. Lovely place, with great view.

PaintingEachDay said...

ok ... now I've read all of your posts - sad that a good book has ended .... ahhh ... I'm hoping for more ... BUT, must now get painting !!