Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Beginning

Welcome. This is my sailing/travel blog. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. Who am I? I'll try not to link my real identity to this blog, but chances are that, if you're here, you already know who I am. If not, suffice it to say that I am a computer scientist who recently bought a minitransat that is located in Spain, and I intend to sail it across the Mediterranean, starting in the summer of 2011.

The tentative route
This is my planned route, with several alternative passages. I plan to stick mostly to a coastal route, avoid long passages, and stop at interesting sites along the way. A more hard core approach would have been to go directly east, perhaps re-stocking in Sicily and Crete. That would take much less time, but I'd miss out on all the interesting sites in between Spain and Turkey.

In any case, I'm not sure how well I'll be able to stick to this plan, or whether I'll be able to complete this journey this summer. Actually, I'm not sure if I'll be able to start at all, as the boat has a lot of issues that need to be sorted out. I'll try to document the process here, and as I go along the coast of Europe, I'll check into the blog from various locations.

Until early June, I'll be fitting out my boat, Guizmo, for the voyage. So expect a bunch of updates on fixing up the boat. The big journey will hopefully start at around mid-June.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are Alexis de Tocqueville with wit and camera dissecting Southern Europe.

BRAVO,

Ill Wind